June 5, 2015

For The Max-Approved Mixtape: Cappadonna - "Supa Ninjaz"




Artist: Cappadonna featuring Method Man and U-God
Title: "Supa Ninjaz"
Producer: True Master
Album: The Pillage (1998)

Perennial weed carrier-slash-gypsy cab driver Cappadonna may have exceeded the expectations of those of his ilk, as he is officially considered to be the tenth member of the Wu-Tang Clan, a late addition spurred by his solid, if not scene-stealing, appearances on tracks by Wu generals Raekwon and Ghostface Killah.  Hell, the group's ringleader, The RZA, liked him so much that he helped the man release his debut album, The Pillage, on Razor Sharp Records (a label I understand he recently RZArected (I see what I did there), although the only act signed at the moment appears to be Nathaniel, that crooner that contributed heavily into fucking up A Better Tomorrow).  Which isn't a big deal, except for the fact that Cappadonna released his own solo record before Inspectah Deck and Masta Killa, and even has its share of hardcore fans, at least given the weird amount of sudden interest in The Pillage on my blog's page views.

However, as karmic comeuppance for his short-lived success, he gets absolutely slaughtered on his own song by U-God.  Fucking U-God.  And this was before Golden Arms started taking his pen game more seriously (read: Dopium, The Keynote Speaker).

Fucking 1998 U-God.

I suppose he never really had a chance, though.  "Supa Ninjaz", the fifth track on The Pillage, just so happens to contain a verse from Lucky Hands that is, in my humble opinion, the best he's ever done, hands down, no bullshit, followed closely by a Method Man contribution that shines like the goddamn sun, as he promised that his second album "T2: Judgement Day" was coming (it hit store shelves seven months later, albeit with the title Tical 2000: Judgement Day, but he was close, for fuck's sake) while reminding both hip hop heads and critics alike that the dude could be fucking nice when he gave a shit, and Method Man is nothing if not a team player.

True Master's instrumental uses its hard-hitting drums to grab your attention, while Baby Uey and Johnny Blaze chant "rock your body, body" during the intro, which I know sounds dumb as hell when you read it, but trust me, this shit works.  Too well, in my opinion: it lulls you into a false sense of security, one which U-God rips to shreds with his opening verse, possibly the first time I ever thought the guy had actually earned his spot in the Wu-Tang Clan.  

There is no personal backstory here: I discovered this track during my first listen of The Pillage, which I had picked up from a Circuit City (remember those?  I kind of miss them) the day of its release.  (I also remember stopping at a Burger King on the way home that day, in case you care about such details.)  The Pillage dropped at a time when I felt the Wu could do no wrong: even their misfires had many jewels hidden within them, I wholeheartedly believed as a lifelong stan.  Obviously, I was proven wrong with the march of time there, but "Supa Ninjaz" stands firm amongst the better Wu-Tang posse cuts in hip hop history.

Also, I like Cappadonna's verse.  Not as much as the others, but the track still bangs.

Do you agree or disagree with this selection?  Discuss below.

-Max

RELATED POST:

18 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 05, 2015

    I will always disagree with you on the fact that Golden Arms was ALWAYS nice from 93 till Black Shampoo. And his best verse happens to be on A Better Tomorrow '97. Hell, he even had some juice for a couple of guest verses in 98, a la Intellectuals, Element Of Surprise & this track. All this doesn't mean I don't like this song, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJune 07, 2015

      "My attitude is metal, I'm rotten to the vein. Sabretooth tiger in the booth still remains.." - Ugod verse on intellectuals from the sunz of man album, the last shall be first

      Delete
    2. AnonymousJune 14, 2015

      Your point?

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJune 05, 2015

    Although let me clarify that Black Shampoo is the worst song in the Wu's history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJune 07, 2015

      Every song on wu tang clan albums "8 diagrams" and "a better tomorrow" would fiercely disagree with you

      Delete
    2. I stand behind my approval of 8 Diagrams, but A Better Tomorrow, yeah, if that album could go fuck itself, that would be great.

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJune 05, 2015

    I agree that is one of U-God's best verses, he had a few others I really liked. Cap's best verses were on Cuban Linx and the Ironman albums. he fell off when Wu Tang Forver came around and some of the verses on The Pillage are horrible but I still kinda like most of the album tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pillage doesn't age well, but I know what you mean.

      Delete
  4. Classic track. Love the beat as it always reminds me of what a Wu-Tang project inspired by the Wild West would sound like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 05, 2015

    This song and Dart Throwing are my favorite songs on the album. do u plan on reviewing the new Can Ox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not anytime soon, given the current West Coast focus during the actual reviews, but I honestly don't know if I want to hear them without El-P.

      Delete
  6. AnonymousJune 05, 2015

    Dude, the hook never had Uey in it. It was Rae & Mef with ODB ad-libbing very faintly in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever. Doesn't detract from the enjoyment factor though.

      Delete
  7. AnonymousJune 08, 2015

    All the beats are damn good on this album.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 08, 2015

    The fact remains that The Pillage will always be Cappadonna's best album even though it was a mediocre release when compared to the Wu's output at that point in time. This is one of the better tracks on the album and Lucky Hands and Johnny Blaze (Where's that new album Meth!!???) go hard, shame about Cap's verse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 08, 2015

    I would just like to point out that a grown adult chose to name his song "Supa Ninjas."

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 08, 2015

    "I would just like to point out that a grown adult chose to name his song "Supa Ninjas."

    You must be new to hip hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. U god ripped it on Supa Ninjaz but U God was always nice with it during the 5 year plan. U God brought it on Knuckleheadz, Killa Hill Niggaz and Black Jesus. Method Man brought the pain too but I always felt Method Man peaks lyrically when rhyming alongside his Wu Brethren than on quote-unquote Def Jam releases like 4321 and many tracks off his second album. KB Ridin and Diesel have two Method Man verses that are amongst my favourites.

    ReplyDelete