May 24, 2007

Diversionary Tactics - May 24, 2007

Because my blog isn't just about the reviews (and also because I don't feel like writing one right now), I present to you something a bit different. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.


SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD THIS WEEK
For the life of me, I can't figure out why this song popped in my head, but I love the hell out of it. I'm not the biggest fan of Onyx (I always felt their ridiculous shouting, shouting, and more shouting delivery wore too thin), and "Slam" isn't the best song in the world. (You wanna fight me on this? Leave a comment!). However, their sophomore album, All We Got Iz Us, while not very good, contained some fucking bangers that I'm sure you'll enjoy as much as I do. I present "Last Dayz".






You can't write about "Last Dayz" without also mentioning "All We Got Iz Us". Surprisingly, these songs were the first and second singles (if you don't count that shit sandwich "Live N---z", also from The Show soundtrack). You see, kids, rap album singles weren't always calculated efforts to get girls to shake their fine asses your way. However, if you meet a chick who's willing to drop it like it's hot to this song, I'd fucking run.











In honor of the next review I plan on writing (which will be posted February 31st), I present:

FIVE QUESTIONABLE NON-ALBUM GHOSTFACE KILLAH COLLABORATIVE EFFORTS

5. Ghostface Killah + Dan the Automator ("2K7", also featuring A.G.)
There's a reason that the Automator doesn't really work with rappers.

4. Ghostface Killah + Charli Baltimore (on her "Stand Up", produced by The Rza)
This actually isn't a horrible song, but the mere idea is kind of appalling.

3. Ghostface Killah + Jane Krakowski from 30 Rock ("Muffin Tops")
I love the fact that Tina Fey has put Ghost on her show, twice. But then again, I have two ears and a heart.

2. Ghostface Killah + Jennifer Lopez ("Love Don't Cost A Thing (Neptunes Remix)")
As far as I'm concerned, this isn't even a real song, just a mash up over a phony Neptune-sounding beat. But still.

1. Ghostface Killah + that crazy ass eagle he used to carry on his wrist







Uh huh, thought so.


AND FINALLY:
A teaser for an upcoming review that I'm sure you will all love:





Hit me with a comment if you enjoy this site!

-Max


2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 24, 2007

    What's up, Fam? I remember picking up Onyx's second album in 95' while visiting Greenville, NC. This was one of many hardcore underground hip hop albums that would spill over into 96'(a great year for East Coast hip hop though some of it performed a huge disservice to hip hop). In 95', I actually still enjoyed hip hop (until 96', go figure). Looking forward to your review about the two quarters. Knowing you, I'll never look at coins the same again.

    P.S. The Game is going to make it a very hot summer. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to argue with you that Slam is the best song in the world, but it deserves it's space because it stands up better than the other cool but stupid radio songs of the era (Jump Around and Insane in the Brain), albeit Slam was less likely to turn jr. high dances into frenzies. Even with all the gimmicks and formulas, Bacdafucup kicks ass. Strangely, it's one of those rap albums that I can only enjoy on something better than a regular cd player which is a bad sign in the case of Rick Ross etc., but in this case I think it was because JMJ and Co. heightened the plateau of East Coast beats to something that sounded simultaneously grimy, and detailed and polished. So is Slam the best song, no. But it was a showcase for a great album, a vanguard, and is still a benchmark for originality.

    ReplyDelete