May 29, 2007

Diversionary Tactics - May 29, 2007

Lest anyone think that I have a blatant East Coast bias (which I do), I present some videos from artists from the other coasts.

SONGS STUCK IN MY HEAD THIS TIME AROUND
First, proof positive that Andre 3000 used to be just a cool-ass dude, before all of the goofy outfits and acting aspirations. When he just called himself Dre, he was one of my favorite rappers. These days, I still like the guy, but I'm not really liking all of the miscellaneous guest appearances these days (I could have done without the Rich Boy remix, thanks). My favorite of their non-album tracks, here is Outkast's "Benz or Beamer", from the New Jersey Drive soundtrack (Volume One, if you're into semantics).



Now for some far north shit. K-Os's "Superstar Part Zero" is just one of those songs with a catchy-ass beat that gets stuck in your head for at least three years. Timbaland and Missy liked it so much that they used it in the video version of Missy's "I'm Really Hot". Am I the only person that thought he sounded like a slightly more intelligent Prodigy?





Not really the best representative of the West Coast, but I'm on a time schedule and I couldn't really find what I wanted. Dr. Dre and Ice Cube were supposed to put out a full length album after this one song, but we all know how that turned out. I bought the Murder Was The Case soundtrack for this song alone, and I know there's others like me. "Natural Born Killaz" is just one of those songs that makes you want to pull out your hair and punch through a wall. Which is the same effect that Tony Yayo has on me, but whatever.






I actually have this on their Criterion DVD, but I found it online and had to put it up. This is one of the better Beastie Boys remixes out there. "Shake Your Rump (Madlib Remix)" sounds just as good, if not better, than the original. (Yeah, I said better. Comments are below, people!).



And yeah, technically the Beastie Boys are East Coast, but I can't leave well enough alone. Proving that my bias is in full effect, here is something I had been tracking down for two weeks now. (I originally meant this to be the first video I posted.) The video itself is meh, but the song knocks even to this day. I present Funkmaster Flex (but really just Akinyele and Sadat X) with "Loud Hangover".




More reviews coming soon...

-Max

(Don't be shy! Leave your comments below!)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha i remeber when fab 5 freddy and dre hosted ice cube on yo! mtv raps and were afraid of playing the vid. mtv made another version of it or somethin. i've bought death row greatest hits just like you, for this one song only. it's sick.
    andre 3000 appearances on lloyd's 'you' remix, unk's 'walk it out' and the new devin joint are incredible. can't wait for a regular rap andre album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 01, 2007

    Ahh, the good old days. Thank god CD's last a lifetime. Max, got a question for you and please forgive me for going off topic. I was revisiting Redman's Dare Iz a Darkside and came across Rockafella (R.I.P.). The track was clearly performed by another rapper named Rockafella who obviously died. Good track. What do you know about this deceased unknown rapper? Did he have any more history in hip hop other than this song? Peace.

    ReplyDelete