January 27, 2008

Diversionary Tactics (January 27, 2008)


Allow me to take this time to do a little bit of housecleaning. First off, What It Is over at the ridiculously funny and informative Treebeats blog has concocted a new venture involving beatmaking, beats, making, and the making of said beats, and has called the project I Hook A Beat Up. A sample is posted, and some soon-to-be-famous producers get to work, with a panel of judges, um, judging who freaked the sample the best. And no, I'm not just plugging this because I'm apparently on the panel, although it does help. Once this gets up and running, it could get interesting.

Secondly, I was asked to promote DJ Big Texas's newest mixtape, The D.O.C.entials, which is a collection of the original songs the famed neurosurgeon Andre Young utilized when discovering The D.O.C.'s debut album No One Can Do It Better in the lab. I'm not really in the habit of posting things for download on my blog (as the ever-changing disclaimer on the right will show), but I do like to show appreciation for anyone that tries to expose today's hip hop audience to the source material of their favorite artists, so instead, here's a link to DJ Big Texas's blog (along with his contact info for bookings, if you're inclined), and here's another link, this time for Ivan's Hip Hop Is Read, specifically the post where you can check out this disc. And, for those that don't know, Ivan and company are pretty good with their own sample collections, and should be checked out as soon as possible.

To all of my two readers that have taken the time to leave comments or to shoot an e-mail my way, I say thanks. To any other blogger that wishes to link up to HHID, just let me know in the comment box on the side, and I'll try to get you linked up as soon as possible. (Hint: if I'm already linked up, it'll make things go faster.)

Finally, even though I do plan on getting back to the reviews very soon, I have a proposition for my readers. I'm thinking of a project that would involve guests doing their own write-ups, and each project would have a specific theme. If you are interested, hit me up at the email address on the right, whether you have your own blog or not, and I'll gauge the level of interest before moving things forward.

Okay, I should be getting back to work.

-Max

3 comments:

  1. I'm willing to write a review or two for you. I would greatly appreciate you reviewing Cormega's The True Meaning but I could review that if you aren't inclined to do so. Thank you for the recent burst of activity here, it's obviously a time consuming enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that beatmaking project sounds cool...once had an idea for a reality show : "Dig, Loop, Spit" which is prettymuch a threeman tag team contest with each member of the team executing the verb respectively and then a panel would judge the endproduct.... it'd be funny as hell seeing the middleman trying to chop up some bullshit sample or the emcee trying to spit over a widdack beat nutten new under the sun...20%standard if this ish pops up elswhere in alarming simularitudes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most Felonious, ever since you dropped your own review of the first Cormega disc in the comments, you've been welcome to do a guest spot. Just hit me up through the e-mail on the right, and if I generate enough interest, I'll send out some more info.

    ReplyDelete