November 16, 2018

Intermedio



Giving you two (and, more realistically, myself), a quick breather before launching into the second half of November. Hopefully you haven't been too disappointed with the albums chosen for review thus far, and if that describes you, well, there may not be any pleasing you.

If you are somehow reading this post not having looked at anything else that's ran in November so far, click here to take a look at the reviews from the first half of this blatant attempt at self-promotion. And be sure to leave comments and such - the fate of the blog is in your hands. Well, only a little, I can ultimately pull the plug at any time, but lack of engagement will only cause that time to come much sooner.

As an additional way to keep myself interested in keeping this going, I'm trying something a little bit different. I've created a mix of songs I liked from each of the first fifteen albums I've written about this month, which can be listened to here.



Some caveats: I selected the songs based on what I liked today from each album, not necessarily what I thought were the best tracks at the time I wrote these reviews. I also tried to go in the order I published the write-ups, but I goofed and flip-flopped Erick Sermon and Psycho Les. (However, that actually worked out well for me, as it helps break up what would have been a double-dose of Keith Murray.) Finally, I think there may be a skip during the Jay Rock entry - I haven't been creating these mix show things for long, so there's a learning curve involved. It annoys me, but sometimes you have to let these things go so you can move forward. I really do want some feedback on this aspect of my work, as I have some ideas as to where I'd like to take it, so listen, subscribe, follow, leave comments, just generally do your thing, you two. And I'm serious this time: tell your friends.

EDIT: Here is the tracklisting, in case you're not a fan of surprises, even though there is one at the end.

1. "Get You Some" (featuring Q-Tip and Marsha Ambrosius) - Busta Rhymes
2. "Diamonds Dancing" - Drake & Future
3. "713" - The Carters
4. "The Time Is Now" (featuring Phonte) - Jean Grae
5. "Buck 50's & Bullet Wounds" (featuring Method Man) - Havoc & The Alchemist
6. "Layers" (featuring Pusha T and Rick Ross) - Royce da 5'9"
7. "Dreamcrusher" (featuring Al-Shid) - J-Zone
8. "Load It Up" - Fat Joe
9. "No Joke" (featuring Ab-Soul) - Jay Rock
10. "Untitled 05 | 09.21.2014." (featuring Jay Rock and Punch) - Kendrick Lamar
11. "Swift" - Salt N Pepa
12. "Now Whut's Up" (featuring Redman, Keith Murray, and Sy Scott) - Erick Sermon
13. "Feel It Baby" (featuring K-Solo and Black Attack) - Psycho Les
14. "Pen Life" - Keith Murray
15. "Chubb Rock Please Pay Paul His $2200 You Owe Him (People, Places, and Things)" (featuring Chubb Rock, Wordsworth, and MF DOOM) - Prince Paul
16. *bonus track?*

If you remember what I published back in February of this year, then you probably think you know what to expect from the rest of what is basically a month filled with follow-ups. In some ways, you're right, so you should go listen to those projects now so that you have something to talk about when the time comes. And in other, more accurate ways, you're wrong. Probably. I don't know. Go listen to the mix. Think of it as a podcast hosted by me, and don't ever say I never gave you anything.

Enjoy!

-Max


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your work, I find myself glued to your site now that there's a review daily so in my case at least, the click-bait works. Funny fact here: I rarely actually listen to the album you're reviewing and have read many a review from you of artists I didn't know or don't care about.Occasionally I listen to a track you mention when I think it sounds interesting but mostly, not. That's also because I tend to do most of my reading when traveling and I think hiphop and music in general doesn't 'work' for me through headphones or the like. On the whole I think I might be more of an appreciator of your writing than someone looking to compare notes on albums. Whenever that does happen, I often end up disagreeing with you but that's the essence of having opinions.
    I can see how a dearth of comments might end up being demotivating but in most cases I don't think I've got anything worthwhile to add and I suppose that might be true of many of my fellow readers.
    I admit I'd probably comment more often if the Left Coast got featured more often, however. I find myself hoping a few reviews of western acts will pop up this month, but I am not holding my breath.
    Anyhow, please keep updating the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the comments to argue. Plenty of people do that. And I understand where you (and most readers, honestly) are coming from, but lack of engagement is what ultimately ends up killing a lot of beloved outlets.

      Also, I ran reviews for Jay Rock and Kendrick. I haven't been West Coast-specific since 2015, when every single non-Wu write-up was for a West Coast artist, but I'm still fitting them in as I can.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mix, got it downloaded and primed for my next car journey.

    So you know, I've pretty much been listening to that Royce album since your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hopefully whatever else I have planned for that side business will also be interesting to you.

      Delete
    2. This was so dope! Next time can you post tracklist with it? Kissy emoji

      Delete