February 12, 2022

quinzième anniversaire

Fifteen years ago, I started this thing.

It wasn’t a huge thing, and it certainly wasn’t that big of a deal in my mind, anyway. I started a blog, calling it Hip Hop Isn’t Dead partially because I was mad at Nas, but mostly because I truly believed the musical genre still had some life left in it (still do to this day). It was a way to keep my pen sharp in between offline projects, writing about a subject I was passionate about in a format that I felt wasn’t being explored nearly as often as I would have liked: the track-by-track review. (I wanted to write something that I would want to read myself.) My idea was to discuss artists’ entire bodies of work, one album at a time, a lofty goal that still exists, believe it or not, although the sidebar suggests that I’ve definitely bitten off more than I can chew. (I’ve since made some adjustments to the parameters of this project in order to protect my sanity.)

Because life is a funny motherfucker, the “offline projects”, while still in progress, have oftentimes been put on the backburner as the blog has managed to grow its audience: music fanatics (not just from our chosen genre, either) who desire a forum to discuss artists and albums they liked, one with a much more satirical, occasionally caustic tone, so as to set it apart from every other music website where the writers fawn all over celebrities as though it could eventually rub off on them. I also enjoy writing goofy shit, and putting that within the context of an album review still makes me laugh today.

The last fifteen years have seen solid bursts of output, some years of mostly nothing (when you combine all of the hiatuses together), several side projects started (some of which were abandoned, but the Patreon and the mix shows are still going strong), and a metric ton of curse words and italicized nonsense. The site has been featured on several lists claiming it to be a must-visit, but even with the multitudes of Reader Reviews that used to run more regularly, this has always been a one-man show. I’ve gained a ton of readers and lost many more (the site’s been around for fifteen years, that was bound to happen, people grow up and move on), but I appreciate every one of you two who reads my bullshit and contributes in your own way, whether it be through comments, subscriptions, link sharing, podcast plays, and whatever else I’m missing here. None of this would exist without you – my ego might have carried me through six months or so, but there’s no way in hell I’d still be here fifteen years later if you weren’t also a part of this journey. So I thank you.

I don’t really have much to say for the fifteenth anniversary of Hip Hop Isn’t Dead – whatever plans I may have originally had went by the wayside quickly when COVID hit and I found myself sleeping a lot. (I’m mostly fine now, by the way. Go get vaccinated.) But this blog project isn’t just about me, even though I may be its primary voice: it’s about everyone who has taken the time to read these words and have agreed or disagreed with me throughout the years. So what I’d like to know is this:

- What were your favorite posts?

- What would you like to see on the blog (or on its side projects)?

- What is your particular jam right now (album, song, artist, film, literally whatever), and why would you recommend it to someone?

Feel free to leave your responses in the comments below, and I’ll try to be much more diligent about participating in the discussion. Even if you just want to complain about something, have at it: I’ll find some way to confirm that you’re in the wrong. Probably. Maybe. I don’t know. Either way, this project is still very much not dead, so stay tuned for some upcoming ridiculousness that you’ll hopefully enjoy.

Thanks again for reading! (No, seriously.)

-Max

23 comments:

  1. Congrats on 15 years on doing this. I came across this blog around 2011, 2012 and have read and loved every post. On to the three things

    I like the Wu posts the most, since I'm a Wu Stan such as yourself

    I'd like to see more collaborative reviews, where you and another person take on the same albums

    My favorite album at the moment is Ill Conscious & Mute Won - Acres Of Diamonds. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd certainly be open to more collaborative reviews - if anyone is interested in contributing, hit my email in the sidebar, let's talk.

      Delete
  2. why is that title in french ? anyway, a good occasion for me to say that you have french readers and to thank you for your work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Max! First stumbled across the site back in 2012 I think, for the GKMC review. It's been a long run!

    Favorite post is impossible, but some of my favorites are the ones that I disagree with you on (most Nas projects, Get Rich or Die Tryin are a few off the top).

    I don't have any particular formats or different things. If there's a couple artists I'd like to see the completion of, it's Snoop Dogg and Danny Brown, who are two of my all time faves.

    My jam right now is the new Adekunle Gold album. Not super lyrical or deep, but just very fun vibes. For a more hip hop song, I'd say Headshots by Isaiah Rashad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Snoop and Danny Brown are definitely artists I'd like to get back around to. Well, Snoop, anyway. It could be argued that his is a catalog I'd need to finish. Brown's, on the other hand, could make for some good Patreon content, as I wouldn't have to necessarily go in release order...

      Delete
    2. The problem with Snoop is he keeps putting out tons of music, most of which isn't that good lol. But some of it is fun

      Delete
    3. It would be a great deal of work. Maybe I should save it for the book?

      Delete
  4. My fave review you did might Infamy by Mobb Deep. I've read a lot of your reviews, so ican't decide a fave, but i think the intro movie script you wrote is so funny, its definitely up there. My jam right now is Kurupt. Particularly his songs, "Mystic River" (my fave song of all time), Anarchy 87, and Can U Feel It. Id like to see you review more Dogg Pound, and review the Dysfunktional Family OST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's one of my favorites too, so I'm happy so many people enjoyed the broad silliness of it all. I'd actually been wanting to dive back into the Death Row catalog for the later-period stuff (I know Tha Dogg Pound isn't exactly "later period Death Row"), but maybe that soundtrack can find its way into my pile someday soon.

      Delete
    2. That'd def be cool. Great ost. Also, is there a way I can apply to do a reader review? Id like to do one, so lmk if there's a way i can be part of that.

      Delete
    3. Send me a pitch for an album (or two, or several, whatever) that you're interested in writing about at the email address in the sidebar, and we can talk it through.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on this achievement and this anniversary! Having followed many blogs (most of them about natural history, social issues or politics rather than hiphop though) since roughly 2006 and having tried my hand at my own a few times, I am quite aware how ephemeral a lot of them are and how difficult it can be to keep them running. I am glad that you're keeping it up, even if I am mostly interested in reviews rather than mixtapes and so on. I think you bring a sense of humor, straightforwardness and honesty to the table that is extremely welcome in writing on this absurd hiphop genre and that is always fresh. I always enjoy reading your views, even if I often find myself disagreeing with you (and I suspect that was mutual when you read and edited the few guest posts I sent you). I wish I had been able to contribute a bit more than I ended up doing in the last year or so. Sadly, I've had to deal with a cancer case at very close quarters and that took a lot of time and energy. As the worst is behind now, I hope to send something your way again in the hopefully near future.

    As for my hopes for your blog, I too would like you to continue with Snoop Dogg's albums (though given how many there are, I could forgive you needing 10 more years to even get halfway through them) and I'd love you to give DJ Quik some extra album reviews as having just his debut discussed by you on this blog is a shame.

    In any case, I wish your blog at least 15 more years of survival and for you to get even better at writing reviews or whatever you want to get better at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the ongoing support! I'm happy to hear that the worst is behind you - hopefully everything is working out for the best. Should you ever wish to pitch a new idea, you know where to reach me. As for Snoop and Quik, all I can say is "I'd like to see more of them too."

      Delete
  6. kinda pointless to take the vaccine now, considering that the pandemic circus is over already, which is a relief, it was getting ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on 15 years! Hard to believe that Twitter, Instagram and iPhones weren't even a thing when you started this blog.

    I'd really like to see you review albums from some of the major commercial rappers of the 90s like Will Smith, Coolio and MC Hammer. Your take on Hammer's mid 90s gangsta phase would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not sure if my brain would be able to handle Hammer's gangsta rap phase, but I'm certainly not saying no.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Max. This is a serious achievement. I've been reading your been reading since about 2010 and still always look forward to new content. What is perhaps surprising is that I find your reviews have become better in qulaity as time has gone one. Sometimes I'll re-read older rveiews that I remember thinking were excellent at the time, and they wil seem to pale in comparison to the standard of more recent reviews. I'm wording that quite badly, (but I'm not re-writing it) but I mena it as a compliment to your growth in quality of content.
    As others have said, your humourous take on just how ridiculous hip-hop is is so welcome in a genre that takes itself way too seriously. Your writing is absolutely hilarious.

    Some favourite rveiews off the top of my head are the Supreme Clientele intro where Ghost sells his soul and the Mack 10 review hidden inside the Ice Cube review.

    What I'd like to see is almost all older rather than newer music, so not necessarily your top prioirty - some WC albums, more DITC (Finesse, Show AG, Diamond D), some non-reader Blu reveiews (the reader reveiews are good but i'm genuinely curious to know what you think of him), more UGK, E-40. Oh and, at leats this fits into two of oyur obsessionins ( finishing what you started artists wise and wu-tang related) some of the recent experimental Killah Priest albums.
    I also enjoyed that series you had where you wrote entire, shorter pieces about a single song e.g. Eye for an Eye, Diary of a Madman, Represent by Showbiz & AG.

    Anyway, its a brilliant blog, one of he very few I read regularly, so whatever direciton you take it, keep up the good work. I'm going to join Patreon this week after this post has just casued me to reflect on how much time I have actually spent reading your work. If I combined all the posts I've read, it's probbaly the length of 3 or 4 books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for supporting the site! I appreciate the kind words and that you understood what I was trying to do here. Hopefully the blogs will continue to feature writings that you enjoy (especially if you like article-length song reviews, the Patreon has a ton of those).

      Delete
  9. Congrats. I have not been on long but I want you to know I think of this blog pretty often and it has been a continuing source of inspiration.
    Wu Tang
    More of The Same
    Griselda and Stoner Doom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your words are much appreciated. I also think "more of the same" is something I can actually do for the blog.

      Delete
  10. Congrats. I started my own blog reviewing hip-hop in 2011 after becoming familiar with hiphopisntdead - my blog died a long time ago though (like most others). And before any of you click on my name; it's in danish.

    I also did track-by-track reviews highly inspired by you. I always liked this format and the humor I quickly came to associate with it. Like not offering anything more than a "meh" on a very meh track, or going on a long digression when writing about a similar song. I also seem to remember you intentionally misspelling an artist's name in various ways during one review (maybe more) to humorous effect. I integrated many of these tricks and bits into my own writing.

    While following your blog I also quickly developed an aversion to intros and skits in general. The last one especially still holds today (luckily skits have been out of fashion for a long time though). In 2010-2012 I was mostly into west coast artists (when talking 90s), but that has since changed - probably partially thanks to this blog.

    I remember one review where you tell a story (probably in the introduction) about yourself sitting in a club talking with... friend? the devil? the artist being reviewed? I can't quite remember, but it was somehow connected to the album in question, and the Gonzo-like writing made quite an impression on me (even though the details eludes me).

    I honestly don't listen much to hip-hop anymore, or I have at least fallen off keeping up with contemporary artists, but I like Denzel Curry's "Walkin" from his latest album.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate the kind words and hope I only inspired good things. As for the review you can't quite place, I actually know exactly which one you're referring to, in case anybody else wants in on the absurdity I thrive on:
      https://hiphopisntdead.blogspot.com/2007/11/ghostface-killah-supreme-clientele.html

      Delete