August 22, 2019

RandoMax Radio Presents: Wu-Massacre 2 (a fake album starring GZA, Inspectah Deck, and Masta Killa)

...at which point Max decides to start being all creative and shit

So I got bored one day and decided to mess around with an idea that had been bouncing around in my head ever since Wu-Massacre dropped. If you remember the write-up, or if you follow any of the bullshit I write on Twitter that isn't just promotion for my various creative outlets, I mentioned that, while the Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, and Method Man teaming was dead in the water, there was potential to revive the series if the focus shifted to three lesser-known members of the Wu-Tang Clan: GZA, Inspectah Deck, and Masta Killa. (Of course, "lesser known" just means "those three weren't signed to a major label at the time or publication", and they still aren't.)

Since it's become obvious that Wu-Massacre 2 isn't ever going to come to fruition, I chose to make it myself.

Kind of.


Obviously I don't have access to any unreleased recordings from GZA, Deck, or Masta Killa, nor do I know them personally: if I did, this would be a very different blog. So I compiled my version of Wu-Massacre 2 (which is, once again, A Fake Album) using previously-released material, although some of the tracks I used are more rare than others. I could have simply put together a playlist of every time these three had ever worked together, but where's the challenge in that? So instead, I gave myself some restrictions in order to force the creativity out:

- I could only use songs that featured at least two of the three artists in question. A track with all three would be given priority for inclusion, but wasn't guaranteed.
- I couldn't use any songs credited to the Wu-Tang Clan, because while those three may have been involved, that's a cheat.
- I had to work around Mixcloud's licensing rules, which meant that I could only use four songs credited to any specific artist, only three of which could come from the same album. As such, a lot of these songs are credited to Deck, Masta Killa, or the Genius anyway, so this wasn't as difficult as you'd think.
- I could only have twelve tracks on my "album". The original Wu-Massacre only had twelve tracks (ten songs, two skits), and I wanted to match that energy while keeping it brief.
- (This goes with the first rule) Each track has to feature at least two of the three artists. Wu-Massacre couldn't even be bothered with that: of its ten actual songs, nine feature Ghost (one of which is a solo song, for some fucking reason, and another a test run for his later Wu-Block project with Sheek Louch), eight feature Meth, and a whopping four out of ten songs feature Raekwon. How consumer complaints against Def Jam Records weren't filed with the Better Business Bureau I'll never understand. Regardless, I avoided this problem by featuring GZA and Deck an equal number of times, with Masta Killa coming in one verse shy, as his general output has been limited when measured against those two.

With these rules in place, I edited a list of every song these guys shared into what I feel is a cohesive tracklist for an album that isn't real. Some of the more obvious choices were abandoned for what I ultimately chose, but I was going for a specific vibe: I wanted this to actually sound like a Wu-Tang album in some ways. With that in mind, there are kung-fu flick samples, RZA beats, other Clan members chiming in as needed (but not every Clan member - figured it's more realistic this way), R&B singers on hooks, shit-talking, reflection, and even one opportunity for a guest to drop by and potentially steal the entire project away from the hosts. There's also more Raekwon than I thought there would be, albeit not as much as what actually appeared on Wu-Massacre.



Wu-Massacre 2 (A Fake Album) TRACKLIST:
1. Duel of the Iron Mic (featuring Ol' Dirty Bastard)
2. Sound of the Slums
3. Silverbacks
4. Cold World (RZA Remix) (featuring D'Angelo)
5. Pencil (featuring The RZA)
6. Tiger and the Mantice
7. Musketeers of Pig Alley (featuring Raekwon)
8. Drivin' Round (featuring Sheek Louch & Erykah Badu)
9. Breaker, Breaker (Remix)
10. Rockstars (featuring Raekwon, Thea Van Seijen, & Stone Mecca)
11. Street Corner
12. Guillotine (Swordz) (featuring Raekwon & Ghostface Killah)

Give Wu-Massacre 2 a spin and let me know what you think. Let it play through to the end: I'm trying to give an album's worth of experience here, so don't skip ahead. Or do, I don't mind, it doesn't belong to me anymore.

-Max

(This post also appears on the Hip Hop Is Done Patreon site.)

14 comments:

  1. More please, I could do with some direction on Wu tracks - honestly there are far too many (and let's be honest, a lot of them suck).

    I jumped on the bandwagon in '94 shortly after 36 Chambers came out and still have that tape along with Liquid Swords and OB4CL (we didn't get the purple tape in the UK...). I think the last thing I actually bought was ODB's debut which honestly I didn't enjoy at the time, but I can appreciate it a little more now.

    I hated Forever, W and Iron Flag sucked - but this mix suggests I'm missing out on some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good to finally see some artwork...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this move you’re doing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I was hoping you'd include "Sparring Minds" from Legend of the Liquid Sword, a great track from GZA with a feature from Deck.

    For me too, these three were always a natural pairing, Masta Killa was supposedly GZA's understudy?, and GZA and Deck always meshed well together on tracks, either Wu or solo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sparring Minds" survived up until the final round of cuts, as did both Raekwon and Ghostface songs that I dropped ultimately because the bars talked about Raekwon and Ghost, respectively, too often, which wouldn't have made much sense if this were a real album.

      Delete
  5. Awesome max. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. outta ol da albumz dat dropped in 2019 like E.Sermon Vernai or Rhapsody Eve etc.... u gave us this SHIT realy? hiphopaintdead blog iz DEAD but hip hop iz very much alive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't really help you if you can't be bothered to look up what exactly we're trying to do on this blog, but go off

      Delete
  7. This is great, would like to see more of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beansprout ShortyAugust 30, 2019

    This is a cool idea Max. I listened to the whole thing and it flowed pretty well as an album. Personally though I don't think it's a great idea to have too much Masta Killa and the same tracks. They're both great and all, but both have such slow, monotone deliveries. For me it results in Deck making them sound awful every time he gets on a track, purely because its a change of pace and a bit of energy. Swap MK out for RZA and you've a better mix I reckon.
    The only song I was surprised not find here was Cross My Heart off the Heavy Mental album. That's an absolute monster of a GZA/Deck pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not personally convinced that replacing Masta Killa with RZA would create a better chemistry, but I get what you're saying from a pure energy standpoint. If I had my way, I'd reduce the appearances of each one of the three on here, as that would make it skew closer to the original Wu-Massacre, but I'm happy you feel it flowed fairly well.

      "Cross My Heart" was also included right up until the final cuts were made - I like the song, but I didn't feel the sound meshed with the rest of the project.

      Thanks for listening! Hopefully I'll find a way to do something else similar soonish.

      Delete
    2. Friction & Sparring Minds deserve a spot.

      Delete
    3. If I'm being honest, I cut those two pretty early on for not gelling with the sound of the rest, but that isn't a dismissal of them in any way.

      Delete