December 24, 2019

So Here's What We Have Planned For The Holiday Season...


When the Hip Hop Isn't Dead prolonged hiatus abruptly ended in 2017, a steady-ish stream of reviews, commentary, podcasts, and other stupid shit once again filled these Interweb pages. However, one thing was missing from this new group of content, or should I say one group was missing: the Wu-Tang Clan. A blog that had spent so much time in the early days tackling various Wu-Tang and Wu-affiliated projects suddenly just... stopped covering them. 


Why, you may ask? The world may never know, or at least it won't ever know as long as I'm around.

That sounds much more ominous than I had intended, so I'll backpedal quickly to claim that I just got burned out on the Clan as a whole, making the conscious choice to put a hold on listening to any projects from the group, as my obsession had gotten out of hand and I wanted to maintain my fandom. Side note that somehow proves my bonafides: I was once a contributor to an all Wu-Tang blog that posted various albums for download, and all I did was tack my write-ups there, which was absurd. Why did anyone think that was going to work? Why would people give a shit about my words when the never-officially-released Wu-Tang demo tape was just one post below?

I'm getting off topic here. My point is that the Wu-Tang reviews were put on hold... until Christmas Day 2018, when I published twelve of them in a twelve-hour period as a way to both catch up on my backlog and to thank the longtime readers who rejoined the blog upon my return.

So I'm going to do it again. But with a twist.


As mentioned, last year I ran twelve Wu-Tang-related write-ups in a twelve-hour period. The posts are still live, so if you somehow missed out on this ridiculous endeavor, you can get caught up to speed here. Why I chose to run them all in one day is still a mystery to me, because it caused me an unanticipated amount of stress on what was ostensibly a "holiday spent with family", as I had to make sure the fuckers actually published on time, and then I had to promote them on Twitter, and, well, it was kind of a mess.

But not this year! In 2019, the twelve days of Wu-Mas (a stupid title, I know, but it's whatever) will actually transpire over twelve days beginning tomorrow, which is Christmas Day in the United States. Fellow Americans, enjoy your gift from me to you and yours! Everyone else, hopefully you can find the time to read the posts regardless of whichever holiday or holidays you celebrate.

I'll be running one post a day for the next twelve days, each related to the Wu-Tang Clan in some fashion. Last year, in addition to picking up projects from Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, U-God, and even Mathematics's The Saga Continues, I threw in some stuff for the hardcore Wu stans, such as the second Deadly Venoms debut album (yes, that sentence reads correctly), the Banks & Steelz project, and even Moongod Allah's Ten Tigers of Kwantung for my Dutch readers. So for the next nearly two weeks, you should expect to see some of that type of stuff mixed in with the official Wu projects that I missed this year.

It's been a pretty big year for the Clan, what with the Showtime documentary, the Hulu series, and the group touring as a collective to honor the twenty-fifth anniversary of their debut album even though that milestone was technically achieved in 2018. So I figured it was a good time to go back to the Wu well, especially given the response this stunt received last year.

Are you subscribing to the Patreon? Well, why the fuck not? Don't you enjoy this kind of goofy content and want even more of it? I will say that Patreon subscribers may receive some additional goodies spread out during these next twelve days. Remember November of 2018, when I did a post a day but sprinkled some bonus reviews throughout? Something like that.

After this stretch is done, obviously I'll be going on hiatus, as that's been my pattern these past few years, That will give you all some time to read through everything and leave your thoughts, which I feed off of and crave.

But until then, happy holidays!

-Max

3 comments:

  1. These are great news, looking forward to having an article to read daily to get me through the workday! (Christmas and off days are in January in these parts of the world. )

    Would you recommend tracking down the Wu Showtime documentary and/or the Hulu series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The documentary, yes, but the Hulu show, weirdly, I haven't had an opportunity to catch as of yet, so not really sure about that one. I've heard some of the performances are excellent, though, but U-God isn't even a part of the Hulu series, so that's kinda weird to me.

      Delete
    2. I can confirm that the Hulu miniseries was dope as fuck... You WILL be able to distinguish the shit that actually happened from the shit that didn’t, but by the end you won’t care because you’re enjoying it enough not to.

      Delete