December 10, 2020

Let's Talk About The Holiday Season

What kind of town has brick walls that are this short?
 

For the past two years, the winter holiday season has served as a good-enough excuse for me to dust off my takes on the Wu-Tang Clan. Some of you two may remember how frequent the Wu-related posts were in the blog's golden days, which screeched to a halt when I found myself burned out on the group and the group's many many affiliates. Still, the Wu has the most posts on the site by a rather large margin (just take a look at the sidebar), and I know a few of you had been waiting for me to get back to the Staten Island collective, so for the last couple of years I've used the holiday as a foundation to lay down some Wu-Tang write-ups that I needed to catch up on.

In 2018, I took the ill-advised tactic of publishing twelve reviews over the course of twelve hours on Christmas Day, which was pretty goddamned stupid of me, but only because it took me away from my family every hour or so, which I suppose made it a success in a way. Last year I handled things a bit differently, extending the "hours" into "days", running a far-more-realistic one-post-a-day schedule within a "twelve days of Christmas" framework, with some bonus posts running over on the Patreon as a fun extra. All of these articles are still up, of course, so you can revisit them at any time.

So what's happening on HHID in the year of our Lord, COVID-2020?

Well, I'm not going to reinvent the wheel - I still enjoy the Wu-Tang Clan, even if I don't listen to them quite as much as I used to. I had originally planned for something a bit more ambitious, but this horribly shitty year forced me to switch it up, so I'm still running with the 12 Days of Wu-Mas, but this time around, instead of album reviews, I'm going with a different idea. A while back, a Patreon supporter suggested a playlist of Wu-related songs that I would recommend to someone who stopped listening to the group after, say, the Wu-Tang Forever era, a collection that would prove the group still had plenty of gas left in the tank. So instead of a playlist, how about a slew of them?

Starting next Monday and leading up to Christmas Day, the 12 Days of Wu-Mas will consist of multiple special Max-Approved Mixtape episodes, all of which will be exclusively filled with Wu-Tang Clan and Wu-related tracks, all of which have been personally approved by me, Max (hi, I'm Max). With that many new podcasts to hear, your holiday listening will be more than taken care of. And for those of you who will miss the written word, that isn't going away entirely - the Patreon will play host to some bonus write-ups that I think you'll enjoy.(If you haven't yet subscribed, don't fret - there's plenty of time, and it costs less than one moderately-decent cup of coffee per month.)

Be sure to share the shit out of these mixes when they drop. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at my Wu compilations that don't simply feature the same twelve goddamned songs over and over again. Join me this holiday season as we celebrate the Wu-Tang Clan, and, fingers crossed, I'll be able to recycle and upgrade my original idea next time around.

-Max

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it still sounds fun now that it's started.

      Delete