December 9, 2020

The Catch-Up: RandoMax Radio

 

I figure you two saw today's post coming, given what's happened on the site over the past couple of days. Don't worry - there will be actual new content this month, and I'm not just talking about the December 2020 edition of RandoMax Radio, although that's happening too. But I wanted to give newcomers to the site a quick primer, whereas everyone else gets a second (or third, or twentieth) opportunity to listen to some really good music, so I think the trade-off is fair.

 

RandoMax Radio is the podcast extension of posts I've published infrequently over the past few years as a way to stretch out the life of the blog, where I jotted down the first ten or twenty songs that came up on 'shuffle' and encouraged everyone to do the same. The main difference today is that I record these song selections as a mix show, each episode featuring sixteen tracks (or seventeen, as I was still figuring my shit out during the first episode) spanning different musical genres, presenting songs together in a way that helps the listener view them in a brand new context. I think you'd be surprised to learn how well some of these songs sound together: the first episode transitions from Young M.A. into Love and Rockets at one point, which literally gave me chills when I was testing the mix in the car. I'm pretty proud of this series, as you can tell.

Episode number 25 was uploaded a couple of weeks ago, which means this podcast series has been running for just over two years now. It seems like each new mix brings in newer listeners, some of whom may have no idea that the blog even exists, while others may only give a damn about the music, because fuck the written word, am I right? So today's catch-up post is designed to give you two a easy-to-navigate starting point for each episode, with links to the mixes themselves accompanied by links to each accompanying article, which is where you will find the tracklistings, which I try to keep close to the vest for as long as possible because I believe the journey is more important than the destination. (Unless you're a Patreon subscriber: then you just get that shit from the jump to do with whatever you wish.)

Each month features various artists from different genres in varying points of their respective careers, and for those of you drawn to HHID because of the hip hop, don't worry, that's all here too. Think of this as the music you'd hear in the background at a coffee shop that I own for the sake of this example. Click through, look around, and find your new favorite song!

Episode #1 (Original article)
Episode #2 (Original article)
Episode #3 (Original article)
Episode #4 (Original article)
Episode #5 (Original article)
Episode #6 (Original article)
Episode #7 (Original article)
Episode #8 (Original article)
Episode #9 (Original article)
Episode #10 (Original article)
Episode #11 (Original article)
Episode #12 (Original article)

Episode #13 (Original article)
Episode #14 (Original article)
Episode #15 (Original article)
Episode #16 (Original article)
Episode #17 (Original article)
Episode #18 (Original article)
Episode #19 (Original article)
Episode #20 (Original article)
Episode #21 (Original article)
Episode #22 (Original article)
Episode #23 (Original article)
Episode #24 (Original article)

Episode #25 (Original article)

Give these episodes a spin, and share them widely with anyone that enjoys this newfangled thing called "music". Unless you want to let a child listen to them - there are explicit lyrics, so be forewarned. But otherwise, give them a shot and let me know what you think. I feel like putting these mixes together have helped me refuel my creative juices when it comes to the writing, so if you enjoy the articles and reviews, supporting RandoMax Radio is an easy way to keep the fire burning. Please and thank you.

-Max

No comments:

Post a Comment